Monday 24 September 2012

Hang Tough

I admit it, I never have been a huge fan of Stallone (or a fan at all, for that matter). I don't care that he made Rocky, was Rambo, was uncredited in The Godfather or manages to speak without moving his face. Actually, I lie: I did really like the piss-take, 'Spambo', in Round the Bend. You should all check it out here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXvCaUZn0Ao

Anyway, this brings me onto one of his flop films - Cliffhanger. I'm not using Wiki or IMDB here...just memory, so apologies if the facts aren't bang on. I remember it came out around the same time as Arnie's 'Last Action Hero'. Both were hyped beyond (deer)God knows what, and both suffered grilling by reviewers and the public. I think both films were instrumental in killing off both Stallone's and Arnie's big star statuses. They were to become like Van Damme - irrelevant, unnecessary and boring. But I digress...I REALLY enjoyed Cliffhanger. No idea why. Maybe it was the fact I saw it on 'pay-per view' in 1994 in Orlando when I was 14. Maybe it was the fact that I loved John Lithgow in Raising Cain. Or maybe it was the fact that I'm just thinking of the beginning of Ace Ventura 2. Regardless, the poster was, and still is, pretty cool (no pun intended):



Wait a second, not that one...THIS one >


Actually, looking at it now, it doesn't look that exciting at all. For all we know he could be on a washing line over a balcony. Although the font is still as memorable and as dramatic as ever. Give me a second here.



 That's more like it! Looks precarious, foreboding and quite a drop.

Still, for all its tackiness and nostalgic value, the washing line version is the one I hold dearest. So much so that I felt inspired to create my own parody version and call it 'Coathanger' Like Stallone, the coat hanger in my cupboard is stiff, bereft of personality and still fucking hanging around; so I thought it very apt.

These have been designed at A3 and I plan on doing a print run of 25. If anybody is interested then please email me for details. Every week or so I'll be designing a new parody poster, so keep checking back.






Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment